Skip to main content

sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Historic England > Architecture > Cinemas

Cinemas Gallery

Choose from 69 images in our Cinemas collection.


Regent Theatre Hanley NWC01_01_0211 Featured Cinemas Image

Regent Theatre Hanley NWC01_01_0211

Regent Theatre, Piccadilly, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. A view from the stage looking out on the auditorium of the Regent Theatre, where a group of people is gathered, showing the ceiling dome above
The Regent Theatre opened in February 1929. In 1950 the cinema was renamed the Gaumont Cinema, and in 1976 it became the Odeon. The cinema closed in October 1989 and remained unoccupied until the mid 1990s, when it was renovated before reopening in 1999. The renovation work included enlargement of the stage and alterations to the auditorium. The proscenium arch was removed and repositioned, and the dome was altered; this photograph shows the dome after renovation and has therefore been dated to post-1999

© Historic England Archive

Alhambra Leicester Square CC97_00503 Featured Cinemas Image

Alhambra Leicester Square CC97_00503

Alhambra theatre, Leicester Square, Westminster, London 1870-??82. York & Son wet collodion glass plate negative.
The Alhambra in London'??s Leicester Square was the brainchild of the impresario and showman Edward Tyrell Smith who bought it in 1858 for the staging of circus acts and later musical theatre. Its Moorish styling included domes, minarets, and horseshoe arches. A fire in 1882 led to its rebuilding, but it was demolished in 1936 as the popularity of music hall entertainment declined. It was replaced by an Oden Cinema (see BB87_03577)

© Historic England

Cinematograph Cinema BL22928 Featured Cinemas Image

Cinematograph Cinema BL22928

Cinematograph Theatre, 269 Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, Haringey, Greater London, later known as the Finsbury Park Cinema. Exterior view showing posters advertising the latest films and a newspaper vendor standing outside a tobacconist shop next door. Photographed in March 1915.
The cinema was opened in 1909 by cinema entrepreneur Montagu Pyke. The building is one of eight cinemas photographed for United Electric Theatres Ltd., although the Kelly directory of 1915 lists Amalgamated Cinematograph Theatres Ltd. at this address. The vendor in the image is carrying a poster announcing the shelling of the Dardanelles forts.

The original cinema building at 269 Seven Sisters Road opened as Pyke's Cinematograph in 1909. The much larger Rink Cinema stood directly behind this building at 10 Stroud Green Road. In 1920 the two were combined under the name of the Finsbury Park Cinema (later reverting back to the Rink Cinema), with Pyke's cinema becoming a grand foyer and the auditorium located in the original Rink building

© Historic England Archive