Skip to main content
Image Licensing since 2004
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Historic England > Historic Images > Hallam Ashley Collection (1931-1980)

Hallam Ashley Collection (1931-1980) Gallery

Choose from 56 images in our Hallam Ashley Collection (1931-1980) collection.


Farrier, Woodbastwick, Norfolk AA98_13563 Featured Hallam Ashley Collection (1931-1980) Image

Farrier, Woodbastwick, Norfolk AA98_13563

Woodbastwick, Norfolk. Interior of blacksmiths shop. A farrier shoeing a horse. A working horse would need re-shoeing about every five weeks. Here a hot shoe is measured against the horse's hoof, and the farrier can tell by the mark left how much to alter the shoe. However, the post-war campaign to mechanise agriculture meant that within a decade of this picture being taken there were few working farriers left. Photographed by Hallam Ashley, February 1949

© Historic England

Car ferry, Norfolk AA98_09928 Featured Hallam Ashley Collection (1931-1980) Image

Car ferry, Norfolk AA98_09928

Reedham ferry, Reedham, Norfolk. This small chain ferry is still the only vehicle crossing on the River Yare between Great Yarmouth and Norwich. Much of East Anglia is watery, and many rivers could only be crossed by ferry before road bridges were built in the later 20th century. Photographed by Hallam Ashley in September 1954

© Historic England

Maltings, Stowmarket MF98_01576_08 Featured Hallam Ashley Collection (1931-1980) Image

Maltings, Stowmarket MF98_01576_08

The Maltings, Station Road, Stowmarket, Suffolk. Interior view. Malt, the first process in the making of beer, is traditionally made in a floor maltings. The grain, usually barley, is first soaked in water in big tanks or steeps and is then spread out at a depth of about 30cm over the malthouse floors. When it begins to sprout it is transferred to a kiln where it is heated to stop it growing. Once nearly every town and village in England had a traditional malthouse: today fewer than ten are still in use. Photographed by Hallam Ashley in September 1970

© Historic England