Skip to main content
Image Licensing since 2004
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Historic England > Landscapes > Urban Landscapes > City of London

City of London Gallery

Choose from 94 images in our City of London collection.


Ludgate Circus, London CC97_01518crop Featured City of London Image

Ludgate Circus, London CC97_01518crop

LUDGATE CIRCUS, City of London. A busy street view of Ludgate Circus with horse-drawn buses in the foreground and a steam train on the bridge. The Circus was constructed at the junction of Ludgate Hill and Fleet Street between 1864 and 1875. A late 19th century photograph by York and Son. A cropped version of image number CC97_01518

© Historic England Archive

City Of London War Memorial BL25608_005 Featured City of London Image

City Of London War Memorial BL25608_005

City Of London War Memorial, Cornhill, London. The City of London First World War memorial outside the portico of the Royal Exchange, showing the east face of the memorial bearing an inscription listing the regiments from the area.
This memorial to servicemen from the City of London lost in WWI was unveiled by HRH the Duke of York on the 12th of November 1920 was paid for by funds raised during the mayoralty of Colonel The Right Honourable Sir Horace Brooks Marshall, KCVO LLD, the Mayor of London during the peace celebrations, who also commissioned Bedford Lemere and Company to take this photograph

© Historic England Archive

St Giles Cripplegate FF003274 Featured City of London Image

St Giles Cripplegate FF003274

The Church of St Giles and the Barbican Estate, City of London, 1962-??4. John Gay (1909-??99), cellulose acetate negative. The Church of St Giles in Cripplegate Ward dates from the 16th century, and it is associated with some of the nation'??s most significant historic figures, including Oliver Cromwell, the author John Bunyan and the poet John Milton. A bombing raid on 29 December 1940 reduced the church to ruins, and the neighbourhood was destroyed by fire. St Giles was restored by 1960 to become the parish church for the high-rise Barbican Estate, designed by Chamberlin, Powell & Bon, and built between 1959 and 1982

© Historic England