Skip to main content
Image Licensing since 2004
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Historic England > Landscapes > Urban Landscapes > Manchester

Manchester Gallery

Choose from 42 images in our Manchester collection.


Watts Warehouse Manchester AA42_01751 Featured Manchester Image

Watts Warehouse Manchester AA42_01751

WATTS WAREHOUSE, PORTLAND STREET, MANCHESTER. A detailed view of Watts Warehouse, now the Brittania Hotel, showing three bays of the basement to second floor. Formerly a general warehouse built between 1851 and 1865 by Travis and Mangnall, the building has since become a hotel. It has five storeys with a basement and roof pavilions, 23 bays to the east and west, and seven bays to the south. The south facade has rustication up to the second floor, with round-headed ground floor windows with voussoirs and keystones. The first floor has four pane sash windows with balustraded balconies and decorated pediments. The second floor windows are supported by three slim columns. In the image the basement windows have been bricked up and the upper floors have blackout fabric.
The building was bought in 1979 to be renovated into a hotel

© Historic England Archive

Manchester Cathedral, 1942 AA42_00073 Featured Manchester Image

Manchester Cathedral, 1942 AA42_00073

CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY, FENNEL STREET, MANCHESTER. An interior view of Manchester Cathedral, or St Mary's Cathedral Church, showing the east end of the nave. Originally a collegiate parish church built between c1422 and 1520, the church received cathedral status in 1847. It underwent restoration or rebuilding between 1814-1815, 1862-1868, 1885-1886 and 1898. The cathedral has a west tower with a west porch and choir rooms, an aisled nave with north and south chapels and porches. The choir and presbytery are aisled, and have chapels north of the north aisle, and a vestry, library, chapter house and chapel south of the south aisle. To the east is a rectrochoir and lady chapel. The aisled nave has six bays and at the eastern end is a rood screen, erected by Bishop Stanley and re-worked by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1872. It has a central entrance flanked by three two light openings on each side. The parapet above was added by Scott, and has a projecting octagonal section. In the image, a screen or fabric hangs over the rood screen. The cathedral church was damaged during bombing in the Second World War

© Historic England Archive

John Rylands Library BL15842 Featured Manchester Image

John Rylands Library BL15842

John Rylands Library, Deansgate, Manchester. The front of John Rylands Library seen from Deansgate. When John Rylands died in 1888 his wife commissioned architect Basil Champneys to design a library which would house Rylands collection of theological books. The library, designed in the Gothic style, was built between 1890-1899. It later became part of the University of Manchester. Photographed in June or July 1900 by Harry Bedford Lemere

© reproduced by permission of english heritage.nmr