Skip to main content

Home > Royal Cornwall Museum > Places > Truro

Truro Collection (#2)

506 Items

We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Royal Cornwall Museum

Background imageTruro Collection: St Nicholas Street from Victoria Square looking towards Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall

St Nicholas Street from Victoria Square looking towards Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
View of St Nicholas Street showing Jennings, Radmore Confectioner and Dining Rooms, Edwin Broad and Olivers boot and shoe shop. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: Daubuz Moors, Truro, Cornwall. 1910s

Daubuz Moors, Truro, Cornwall. 1910s
Daubuz Moors with the stone railway viaduct and the three Cathedral spires in the background. This view is from the start of the leat at the north end (Rosedale). Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Beating the Bounds, The Green, Truro, Cornwall. 4th October 1912

Beating the Bounds, The Green, Truro, Cornwall. 4th October 1912
A large crowd of boys watching the Beating of Truro City land bounds on the Green. Beating the Bounds is an old tradition whereby officials of the parish share their knowledge of the boundaries of

Background imageTruro Collection: Newham, Truro River, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Newham, Truro River, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Small craft off Newham looking towards Sunny Corner. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
The Dining Room in Princes House showing the ornate ceiling, and several pieces of period furniture. Princes House was built for William Lemon in 1739 by the London architect Thomas Edwards

Background imageTruro Collection: Rosewin Row, Truro, Cornwall. 1927

Rosewin Row, Truro, Cornwall. 1927
A view of an alley, probably off Rosewin Row. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro River, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

Truro River, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s
Truro River from above Calenick Creek, looking towards Malpas. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
The exterior of the Technical School in Union Place, showing the side/back of the building. Funded by Passmore Edwards and designed by Silvanus Trevail

Background imageTruro Collection: St Johns Sunday School, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920

St Johns Sunday School, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920
St Johns Sunday School at the top of the Infirmary Hill and Lemon Street junction. The Grammar School was housed here between 1877-1880 and the building was demolished in August 1962

Background imageTruro Collection: Edward Prince of Wales, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 11th June 1919

Edward Prince of Wales, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 11th June 1919
The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall (later to become King Edward VIII) with a crowd outside City Hall. During his visit to Truro

Background imageTruro Collection: Block of four terraced houses on Station Road, Truro, Cornwall. Date unknown

Block of four terraced houses on Station Road, Truro, Cornwall. Date unknown
A view of 1, 2, 3 and 4 Station Road in Truro. Photographer: Arthur Philip

Background imageTruro Collection: Laying the foundation stone of the Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall

Laying the foundation stone of the Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. 21st October 1908
Dignitaries and Cathedral personnel laying the foundation stone of the Cathedral school. The school, used to educate the choristers, closed in 1982. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Clubhouse at Truro College Recreation Ground. Truro, Cornwall. 1920

Clubhouse at Truro College Recreation Ground. Truro, Cornwall. 1920

Background imageTruro Collection: George Prince of Wales and Princess Mary driving down Richmond Hill, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903

George Prince of Wales and Princess Mary driving down Richmond Hill, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903
The Prince and Princess of Wales, later King George V and Queen Mary, in a carriage driving down Richmond Hill for the Benediction of the cathedral nave

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro School, formerly Truro College, Trennick Lane, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Truro School, formerly Truro College, Trennick Lane, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
An exterior front view of Truro School covered in ivy. Founded in 1879 as Truro Wesleyan Middle Class College, the school opened in 1880 and soon became known as Truro College

Background imageTruro Collection: Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. 1915

Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. 1915
A view of pupils in the science laboratory of the cathedral school in 1915. The foundation stone was laid on 21st October 1908. Used to educate the choristers, the school closed in 1982

Background imageTruro Collection: Cathedral School and Cathedral, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910

Cathedral School and Cathedral, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910
A view of the cathedral and the cathedral school from the Mill Pool. The foundation stone was laid on 21st October 1908. Used to educate the choristers, the school closed in 1982

Background imageTruro Collection: Avondale Road, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Avondale Road, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
View up the left side of Avondale Road showing the terraced houses. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: George V Silver Jubilee window, Farm Industries Ltd shop, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall

George V Silver Jubilee window, Farm Industries Ltd shop, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably 1935
The window of Farm Industries Ltd. celebrating the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 with photographs and decorated packets of flour etc. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Looking west along Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920s

Looking west along Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920s
Quay Street, looking west towards the Cathedral with the Old Mansion House and C. Trevail, the monumental masons on the right and the Palace Theatre on the left. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: The West End Drapery Stores Ltd, 7 Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1911

The West End Drapery Stores Ltd, 7 Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1911
The shop front of The West End Drapery Stores Ltd. This Grade II listed building was designed by architect Alfred J. Cornelius in 1908 and later became The Old Ale House

Background imageTruro Collection: C. Trevail, monumental masons, Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920s

C. Trevail, monumental masons, Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920s
C. Trevail, monumental mason s, with monuments displayed on the pavement outside. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: School room, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

School room, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s
Interior of a school room with long benches, a desk with two chairs and a piano at the front. There are two framed photographs of gentlemen between the windows

Background imageTruro Collection: Laboratory, Truro Diocesan Training College, Agar Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

Laboratory, Truro Diocesan Training College, Agar Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s
A pupil of Truro Diocesan Training College, a training college for School Mistresses, working in the school laboratory. The college opened in 1859

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro Diocesan Training College, Agar Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

Truro Diocesan Training College, Agar Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s
An exterior view of Truro Diocesan Training College, a training college for School Mistresses. The college opened in 1859

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro High School for Girls, Falmouth Road, Truro, Cornwall. In or before 1903

Truro High School for Girls, Falmouth Road, Truro, Cornwall. In or before 1903
Founded as a Church of England school by the Bishop of Truro in 1880, Truro High Schools new premises in Falmouth Road were built in 1896. Photographer: Tims of Truro

Background imageTruro Collection: Outdoor class at a Truro Elementary School, Truro, Cornwall. Autumn 1919

Outdoor class at a Truro Elementary School, Truro, Cornwall. Autumn 1919
The teacher is seated at a small desk in the foreground and the boys are posed for the camera against the walls of the building and schoolyard. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1908

High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1908
A two-horse excursion car with passengers by the cathedral, with the west front still under scaffolding. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Royal Visit, Truro Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. Probably 1911

Royal Visit, Truro Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. Probably 1911
Prince Edward the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VIII and Prince Albert the Duke of York, the future King George VI arriving at the cathedral on a private visit

Background imageTruro Collection: The Leats, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920

The Leats, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920
A view of The Leats from the west side of Castle Street looking towards the Cathedral. The United Methodist Chapel (Sunday School section) can be seen on the right hand side

Background imageTruro Collection: Entrance hall and staircase of Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Entrance hall and staircase of Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
A view of the staircase and stair hall from the entrance hall. Princes House was built for William Lemon in 1739 by the London architect Thomas Edwards. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Princes House and Princes Garage, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. In or before 1934

Princes House and Princes Garage, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. In or before 1934
Princes House was built for William Lemon in 1739 by the London architect Thomas Edwards. The porch, steps and boundary wall was added in 1891 as designed by Silvanus Trevail. The showroom for H.T.P

Background imageTruro Collection: Garden at rear of Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Garden at rear of Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
A man in a boater hat and apron is mowing the grass with a hand pushed lawn mower. Princes House was built for William Lemon in 1739 by the London architect Thomas Edwards. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro City Police, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Truro City Police, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
Group of Truro City Police, under Chief Constable Angel (formerly Superintendent Angel), on the roof of City Hall, Boscawen Street. Bill Odgers, the Town Crier, is standing in the centre

Background imageTruro Collection: Mansion House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1934

Mansion House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1934
Mansion House was built for merchant and mine owner Thomas Daniell between 1759-1762 by the London architect Thomas Edwards. W. & E.C. Carne Wine Merchants can be seen on the right hand side

Background imageTruro Collection: Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. Mid 1920s

Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. Mid 1920s
View from Quay Street with Duke Street on the left, St Marys Street leading to the cathedral straight ahead and Newbridge Street on the right. P.W.J

Background imageTruro Collection: Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
View of the bandstand at Victoria Gardens, looking east through the trees, with a boy sitting on a park bench and a lady in a large hat standing, looking at the bandstand

Background imageTruro Collection: Waterfall Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Before 1902

Waterfall Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Before 1902
Waterfall Gardens with the Parish Church of St George the Martyr on the left and Isambard Kingdom Brunels timber fanned Carvedras Viaduct on the right

Background imageTruro Collection: Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1910

Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1910
The Bandstand in Victoria Gardens with the new Carvedras Viaduct in the background. The all stone structure replaced Isambard Kingdom Brunels original timber fanned viaduct in 1902

Background imageTruro Collection: Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
View westwards along Quay Street with the Cathedral in the background and the Old Mansion House on the right. The Great House is in the centre with the other Great House opposite on the left with an

Background imageTruro Collection: Rear of the Britannia Hotel, The Green, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1930

Rear of the Britannia Hotel, The Green, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1930
A view of the rear of the Britannia Hotel, later known as the Britannia Inn. The rear of the building faced The Green with the front located at the end of Quay Street. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
A view of the north side of Princes Street from the east, with men working on the front of the building situated between the Coinage Hall (on the left)

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro Borough Police, Truro, Cornwall. 1870

Truro Borough Police, Truro, Cornwall. 1870
From left to right: Sergeant Roberts, Constable Coad (collar number 1), Constable Collet (collar number 4), Constable Scown (collar number 2) and Constable Bettinson

Background imageTruro Collection: Bandstand, Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. After 1902

Bandstand, Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. After 1902
View over Truro from the top of Victoria Gardens showing the bandstand with two children in front. The rear of St Georges Chapel and Carvedras Viaduct are in the background

Background imageTruro Collection: Dynamite Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Undated

Dynamite Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Undated
Dynamite Quay from Newham Road, with a view across the river to the present Cricket Ground (built in 1961) and Boscawen Park. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Newham Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1930s

Newham Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1930s
View over the wall at Harveys Timber Yard, with the Gas Works beyond. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro Vean House, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Truro Vean House, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
A view of Truro Vean House at Moresk, from the front, showing part of the garden. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Moresk Laundry, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Moresk Laundry, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
The interior of Moresk Steam Laundry showing the girls at work; some are ironing. There are wicker baskets full of washing on the floor and other garments hanging from beams




For sale as Licensed Images

Choose your image, Select your licence and Download the media