Skip to main content

Home > Royal Cornwall Museum > Places > Truro

Truro Collection (#3)

506 Items

We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Royal Cornwall Museum

Background imageTruro Collection: Moresk Laundry, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Moresk Laundry, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
The interior of Moresk Steam Laundry showing the girls at work; some are ironing. There are wicker baskets full of washing on the floor and other garments hanging from beams

Background imageTruro Collection: Worths Quay with excursionists awaiting a boat, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920s

Worths Quay with excursionists awaiting a boat, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920s
A glass lantern slide picturing a large group of excursionists waiting for an excursion steamer on the Truro River at Worths Quay

Background imageTruro Collection: Taylors Garage, Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Around late 1940s

Taylors Garage, Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Around late 1940s
Taylors (Truro) Ltd.s Garage on Lemon Quay. The car in the forecourt has the registration number HVM 478. Taylors were the main dealers for Vauxhall and Bedford vehicles. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Back Quay showing the Market Inn, the rear of City Hall and N. Gill & Son, Truro, Cornwall

Back Quay showing the Market Inn, the rear of City Hall and N. Gill & Son, Truro, Cornwall. After October 1937
A view of the Market Inn, the rear of City Hall and N. Gill & Son after the filling-in works were completed in October 1937. A small group of men are standing outside the Market Inn

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Quay from Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Mid 1940s, towards the end of the Second World War

Lemon Quay from Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Mid 1940s, towards the end of the Second World War
A view from Back Quay towards Lemon Quay with the car park full of lorries. The Fire Guard Office stands left of centre in front of the Gas Works. West Cornwall Motors Ltd. and John Julian & Co

Background imageTruro Collection: Filling-in works Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Between September 1936 and October 1937

Filling-in works Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Between September 1936 and October 1937
A view looking west from Back Quay, outside the Old City Hall, of the early stages of the filling-in works. Lemon Bridge can be seen in the distance. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Group including the Mayor and other dignitaries, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Group including the Mayor and other dignitaries, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
The photograph is said to have been taken at the opening of Truro Bowling Club but this seems doubtful. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Gentlemen in top hats lined up on The Green, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Gentlemen in top hats lined up on The Green, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
The photograph was taken at an unknown ceremony. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Outdoor presentation, possibly on The Green, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Outdoor presentation, possibly on The Green, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
A gentleman removes his top hat to bow and shake hands with another gentleman at an unknown presentation ceremony. A large crowd of people look on. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Unidentified building under construction, possibly the HTP warehouse on Malpas Road

Unidentified building under construction, possibly the HTP warehouse on Malpas Road, Truro Cornwall. Early 1900s
Three men are standing on the scaffolding in the foreground with two further men in the distance. The same three men appear to be in a photograph of the Malpas Road warehouse being built for HTP

Background imageTruro Collection: Demolition of building by the Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Demolition of building by the Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Wood, slate, bricks and other rubble can be seen at the base of the building. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
A gentleman and a young boy stand by the newly built pond and fountain at Victoria Gardens, with Isambard Kingdom Brunels original timber fanned viaduct in the background

Background imageTruro Collection: The Leats, Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. After 1902

The Leats, Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. After 1902
Group of children, with a baby in a pram, standing by the stone bridge over the leat to Victoria Gardens. The rear of St Georges Chapel and Carvedras Viaduct are in the background

Background imageTruro Collection: Waterfall Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Date unknown

Waterfall Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Date unknown
A view of Waterfall Gardens, looking south. The side of St Georges Chapel and houses on St Georges Road can be seen. Waterfall Gardens opened in 1893

Background imageTruro Collection: The Parade, Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

The Parade, Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
A view of The Parade, looking north. The Parade is a terrace of 18, early 19th century and Grade II listed, houses. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Trafalgar House, Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Trafalgar House, Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
The early 19th century, Grade II listed building was the home of Jeremiah Reynalds, who was mayor of Truro from 1864-1866. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Back Quay from Lemon Bridge, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Back Quay from Lemon Bridge, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
A view from Lemon Bridge looking along Back Quay, at high tide. A group of people, including a young lady, stand looking at the camera

Background imageTruro Collection: River Kenwyn, looking towards Lemon Bridge and Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1910-1920

River Kenwyn, looking towards Lemon Bridge and Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1910-1920
A view of the River Kenwyn from Lemon Quay, with Lemon Bridge in the distance. A sailing barge is lying alongside Back Quay. The Green, with its trees, can be seen in the centre of the photograph

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Bridge from Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1926

Lemon Bridge from Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1926
A good view of Lemon Bridge, taken from Lemon Quay at low water. The modern public toilets, which opened in September 1925, are visible just beyond the bridge parapet

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Quay and Lemon Bridge, Truro, Cornwall. 1926

Lemon Quay and Lemon Bridge, Truro, Cornwall. 1926
A view of Lemon Quay and Lemon Bridge from Back Quay. The modern public toilets, which opened in September 1925, are visible just beyond the bridge

Background imageTruro Collection: Back Quay and Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910

Back Quay and Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910
Taken from Lemon Quay looking towards Back Quay, with the River Kenwyn at high tide, with a fully laden sailing barge alongside

Background imageTruro Collection: River Kenwyn, looking towards Lemon Bridge, Truro, Cornwall. 1910-1920

River Kenwyn, looking towards Lemon Bridge, Truro, Cornwall. 1910-1920
A view of the River Kenwyn with Lemon Bridge in the distance. Lemon Quay is on the left, with a back to front GARAGE sign situated near to a sailing barge lying alongside Lemon Quay

Background imageTruro Collection: Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1910

Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1910
A view taken from the west side of the River Kenwyn, looking up river towards Lemon Bridge in the distance. Back Quay is on the right with a sailing barge alongside near The Green

Background imageTruro Collection: Back Quay and The Green, Truro, Cornwall. 1910-1920

Back Quay and The Green, Truro, Cornwall. 1910-1920
A view from just down river from Lemon Quay, looking up river towards Lemon Bridge (just out of view) and Back Quay. The trees on the right hand side mark The Green

Background imageTruro Collection: Moresk House, in the vicinity of Moresk Road, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

Moresk House, in the vicinity of Moresk Road, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
The steam laundry visible behind the house with the stone Truro Viaduct, also known as Moresk Viaduct, in the distance. The viaduct is the longest in Cornwall

Background imageTruro Collection: Town Crier standing outside City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

Town Crier standing outside City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
The town crier is holding a horn and reading a note, it appears he is preparing to make an announcement. Photographer: Gibson

Background imageTruro Collection: The Millpool looking upstream towards Wilkes Walk, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

The Millpool looking upstream towards Wilkes Walk, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
The small brick building sitting over the River Allen is a urinal which drained straight into the river. The building was later named Tardis House and has been used as office space

Background imageTruro Collection: View down Lemon Street from above Carclew Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

View down Lemon Street from above Carclew Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
The photograph is taken from outside 41 Lemon Street. The Kings Head public house at 61 Lemon Street, on the corner with Charles Street, can be seen on the left hand side of the photograph

Background imageTruro Collection: Lower Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1890

Lower Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1890
View looking towards the Red Lion in Boscawen Street, before the central tower of the cathedral was built. There are men, women and children in the street along with a couple of carts

Background imageTruro Collection: Workmen, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Workmen, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Two workmen posed with an unidentified machine, outside an industrial building. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: The Millpool and Neptune Row, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

The Millpool and Neptune Row, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
A winter view across the pool, on the River Allen, to the backs of the houses. The houses on the right hand side of the photograph have since been demolished

Background imageTruro Collection: Epiphany House, 14 St Marys Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910

Epiphany House, 14 St Marys Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910
View with children grouped on the corner, two girls with large hats and three young boys. The building is situated on the corner of St Marys Street and Old Bridge Street. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Trennick Row from the river, Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Trennick Row from the river, Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
View looking towards the row of houses, with Truro River in the foreground and open fields behind. It is high tide but there is no shipping in the river. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1892

Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1892
A view up Lemon Street from Lemon Bridge. There are several horse-drawn carts and people in the street, including a woman with two children on the left hand side

Background imageTruro Collection: Entrance to Hicks garage, 73 Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1920

Entrance to Hicks garage, 73 Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1920
Looking through the arched entrance to Hicks garage, from across the road. Motor cars can be seen through the archway and in the window

Background imageTruro Collection: Girder arriving for Plaza Cinema, 69 Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. 14th July 1935

Girder arriving for Plaza Cinema, 69 Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. 14th July 1935
Looking up Lemon Street, a 20 ton girder arriving for the building of the Plaza Cinema with a large crowd of onlookers across the road. S

Background imageTruro Collection: Man delivering letter to a house in lower Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. September 1914

Man delivering letter to a house in lower Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. September 1914
A man in a bowler hat delivering a letter, or similar, to an elderly lady at a first floor window using a long pole. A young woman looks from the window to the right

Background imageTruro Collection: 40 Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Possibly 1902 or 1911

40 Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. Possibly 1902 or 1911
40 Lemon Street decorated with flags for an unknown occasion but possibly for the coronation of either King Edward VII in 1902 or King George V in 1911

Background imageTruro Collection: General view of houses at Hendra, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1920s

General view of houses at Hendra, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1920s
General view of houses at Hendra from the bottom of Hendra Road (formerly known as New Road). The Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry building in Carew Road can be seen on the right with Hendra Park

Background imageTruro Collection: The Mayor of Truro, N. B. Bullen, laying the foundation stone for the new houses at Hendra, Truro

The Mayor of Truro, N. B. Bullen, laying the foundation stone for the new houses at Hendra, Truro, Cornwall. 1921
The foundation stone is in the side wall of 3 Kenwyn Road (the first) which is on the corner of Kenwyn Road and Hendra Road (formerly known as New Road). It reads " 1921 N.B. Bullen, Mayor. R.K

Background imageTruro Collection: Market Day, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910

Market Day, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910
View of a crowd of men, women and children with a number of fully laden horse buses in front of the Cathedral. Burtons Furnishing Warehouse can be seen in the background. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: Horse buses in front of the Cathedral, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910

Horse buses in front of the Cathedral, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910
The horse buses include the St Columb-Summercourt-Truro service. People are seated on the horse buses as well as a number of children standing looking at the camera

Background imageTruro Collection: Silvanus Trevails post office, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Silvanus Trevails post office, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
The post office, designed by the famous Cornish architect Silvanus Trevail, was built in 1886. The photograph is taken from King Street, looking towards the post office

Background imageTruro Collection: Hicks Garage, Kenwyn Street, Truro, Cornwall. After December 1903

Hicks Garage, Kenwyn Street, Truro, Cornwall. After December 1903
S. Hicks & Son, Automobile Engineers, at 114 Kenwyn Street with a motor car, registration number SW 619, parked outside. To the left are Miss Ethel Osborne, Greengrocers at No

Background imageTruro Collection: Kenwyn Road under snow, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

Kenwyn Road under snow, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s
A view down Kenwyn Road under snow. A horse and trap is being driven up the road. Photographer: possibly Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: View down Kenwyn Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

View down Kenwyn Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s
A view down the hill towards the cathedral from Devonshire Terrace (built in 1909) and the corner of Higher Trehaverne with a group of boys on the pavement. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: The City Hotel and St Marys Terrace, Kenwyn Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

The City Hotel and St Marys Terrace, Kenwyn Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s
The City Hotel and St Marys Terrace looking up the hill, with passers-by and a horse and trap. A sign advertising R. Menhennet, Mason can be seen on the left. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: Home Field, Kenwyn Hill, Truro, Cornwall. Probably between 1900 and early 1930s

Home Field, Kenwyn Hill, Truro, Cornwall. Probably between 1900 and early 1930s
A view of Home Field, a semi-detached house on Kenwyn Hill. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan




For sale as Licensed Images

Choose your image, Select your licence and Download the media