Skip to main content

Home > Royal Cornwall Museum > Places > Truro

Truro Collection (#5)

506 Items

We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Royal Cornwall Museum

Background imageTruro Collection: A highly decorated Boscawen Street looking east, Truro, Cornwall

A highly decorated Boscawen Street looking east, Truro, Cornwall. Thought to be 27th May 1913 but possibly earlier
Boscawen Street looking east. The street is highly decorated, probably for the Bath and West Show. Horse drawn vehicles can be seen by the Coinage Hall

Background imageTruro Collection: Shop window of G. H. Philp, 2 King Street, Truro, Cornwall. Christmas 1922

Shop window of G. H. Philp, 2 King Street, Truro, Cornwall. Christmas 1922
The shop window of G.H. Philp is decorated for Christmas 1922. Calendars for 1923 are on sale. G.H. Philp provided a variety of services including paper hangings, picture frame maker, mount cutter

Background imageTruro Collection: King Street, Truro, Cornwall. About 1910

King Street, Truro, Cornwall. About 1910
East side of the street showing Slater family grocers at 1 King Street, G.H. Philp (paper hangings, picture frame maker, mount cutter, sign writer, banner painter, stationer, fancy goods)

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro from Boscawen Park, Cornwall. 1920s

Truro from Boscawen Park, Cornwall. 1920s
View from the north end of the mud flats that were being converted into Boscawen Park, looking towards the cathedral and the gasworks on Lemon Quay

Background imageTruro Collection: A general view of Boscawen Street looking east, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910

A general view of Boscawen Street looking east, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1910
A general view of Boscawen Street looking east from the south west end. A pony and cart are in the foreground left. The Red Lion Hotel, the Domestic Bazaar Company, Farrows Bank Ltd and N

Background imageTruro Collection: Meeting in the Council Chamber, City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall

Meeting in the Council Chamber, City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. Date unknown but probably early 1900s
The Mayor addresses a meeting in the Council Chamber. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: H. T. P. Motors Ltd, Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Taken before the the last section of the river

H. T. P. Motors Ltd, Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Taken before the the last section of the river was covered over in
Lorry number CV 5333 is parked on the Lemon Quay side of the River Kenwyn. H.T.P. Motors Ltd. later became the site of the Pannier Market. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. June 1911

Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. June 1911
City Hall exterior decorated with bunting for the Coronation of George V on 22nd June 1911. The water pump, fountain and drinking troughs are still in place. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Lloyds Bank, Coinage Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

Lloyds Bank, Coinage Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
View showing the War Memorial and fountain in front of the Coinage Hall. The Coinage Hall was built in Victorian times on the site of the original 14th century stannary building

Background imageTruro Collection: Tregolls House, Tregolls Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Tregolls House, Tregolls Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
General view of house. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1910s

Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1910s
Farrows Bank on north side of Boscawen Street. There is a young boy to the left of the photograph. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. About 1910

Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. About 1910
A view up from the corner of Pydar Street and High Cross with the Post Office on the right hand side and the Coach & Horses Inn on the left

Background imageTruro Collection: Boscawen Park, Truro, Cornwall. Possibly 1907

Boscawen Park, Truro, Cornwall. Possibly 1907
This shelter in Boscawen Park was presented by Alderman Dorrington. The photo includes two adults and several children, with a tricycle and a dolls pushchair. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan?

Background imageTruro Collection: Mitchell Hill Terrace, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Mitchell Hill Terrace, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
View looking down Mitchell Hill Terrace in winter. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s
A view of River Street, looking east, showing the Truro Savings Bank and Baptist Chapel, later to become the Royal Cornwall Museum. The architect of both buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874)

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. 1899

Truro Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. 1899
Building the west front. Close up of workers by the west doorways. Notice reads Wednesday 29 March 1899 Sale of building materials by W.J. Johns. Photographer: F.H. Tims

Background imageTruro Collection: Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s

Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s
A view of Back Quay from the Lemon Street bridge looking down Kenwyn River at high tide. Sailing barges moored by Lemon Quay on the right of the picture. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: St Georges Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1883

St Georges Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1883
A view up St Georges Road to Brunels viaduct from the corner of Ferris Town. The premises of Eusebius Sutton, a beer retailer, can be seen on the corner of the street at 29 Ferris Town

Background imageTruro Collection: The Womens Institute, Truro, Cornwall. 1919

The Womens Institute, Truro, Cornwall. 1919
A group of the members pose for the photographer at the Womens Institute two day bazaar in St Marys Street building held on the 5th and 6th of December 1919

Background imageTruro Collection: The Green, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

The Green, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
The Dolphin Inn can be seen on the right with the carved stone dolphin sign, with the cathedral behind. The Dolphin Inn was previously called The Fighting Cocks

Background imageTruro Collection: Boxing team, Truro Cathedral School, Truro, Cornwall. February 1926

Boxing team, Truro Cathedral School, Truro, Cornwall. February 1926
Truro Cathedral School boxing team of seven boys. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Boxing team, Truro Cathedral School, Truro, Cornwall. February 1926

Boxing team, Truro Cathedral School, Truro, Cornwall. February 1926
Truro Cathedral School boxing team of seven boys. Their mascot, a dog, is sitting in the centre of the front row. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Boxing team, Truro Cathedral School, Truro, Cornwall. February 1926

Boxing team, Truro Cathedral School, Truro, Cornwall. February 1926
Truro Cathedral School boxing team of seven boys. Captain Welch is sitting in the centre of the front row. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Boxing team, Truro Cathedral School, Truro, Cornwall. 1923

Boxing team, Truro Cathedral School, Truro, Cornwall. 1923
Truro Cathedral School boxing team of six boys. Their coach is in the centre and two officers are standing at the back. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Bandstand, Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. After 1902

Bandstand, Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. After 1902
The bandstand at Victoria Gardens with several people walking around the flower beds. Carvedras Viaduct is on the right hand side and a down train can be seen at the railway station

Background imageTruro Collection: View down Lemon Street from above Carclew Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

View down Lemon Street from above Carclew Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
The photograph is taken from outside 42 Lemon Street. The Kings Head public house at 61 Lemon Street, on the corner with Charles Street, can be seen on the left hand side of the photograph

Background imageTruro Collection: Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
An interior view of Princes House showing the landing and top of the stairs. It shows the very ornate ceiling, several portraits and two wooden chairs

Background imageTruro Collection: Rosewin Row, Truro, Cornwall. 1927

Rosewin Row, Truro, Cornwall. 1927
Slate hung terraced houses in Rosewin Row. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Exterior view of the Technical School in Union Place. Funded by Passmore Edwards and designed by Silvanus Trevail, the school was built in 1899 as a Technical College for men and women

Background imageTruro Collection: The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
The exterior of the Technical School in Union Place. Funded by Passmore Edwards and designed by Silvanus Trevail, the school was built in 1899 as a Technical College for men and women

Background imageTruro Collection: The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. 1907-1908

The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. 1907-1908
The laboratory at the Technical School in Union Place, Truro. There are two microscopes on view together with Bunsen burners, laboratory apparatus, jars and bottles of liquids etc

Background imageTruro Collection: The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

The Technical School, Union Place, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
The exterior of the Technical School in Union Place. Funded by Passmore Edwards and designed by Silvanus Trevail, the school was built in 1899 as a Technical College for men and women

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro School, formerly Truro College, Trennick Lane, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s / early 1900s

Truro School, formerly Truro College, Trennick Lane, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1800s / early 1900s
An exterior front view of Truro School. Founded in 1879 as Truro Wesleyan Middle Class College, the school opened in 1880 and soon became known as Truro College

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro School, formerly Truro College, Trennick Lane, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Truro School, formerly Truro College, Trennick Lane, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
An exterior front view of Truro School covered in ivy. Founded in 1879 as Truro Wesleyan Middle Class College, the school opened in 1880 and soon became known as Truro College

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Bridge, Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1926

Lemon Bridge, Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Late 1926
A view of two gentlemen standing on the road at Lemon Bridge looking towards Lemon Quay, with Truro School in the distance. City Hall and N. Gill and Son, on Back Quay, can be seen on the left

Background imageTruro Collection: Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1922

Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1922
A group of pupils and masters from the cathedral school in 1922/1993. The foundation stone was laid on 21st October 1908. Used to educate the choristers, the school closed in 1982

Background imageTruro Collection: Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. February 1915

Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. February 1915
A view of children sitting at their desks in a classroom at the cathedral school in 1915. The foundation stone was laid on 21st October 1908

Background imageTruro Collection: Laying the foundation stone of the Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall

Laying the foundation stone of the Cathedral School, Cathedral Green, Truro, Cornwall. 21st October 1908
Dignitaries and Cathedral personnel laying the foundation stone of the Cathedral school. The school, used to educate the choristers, closed in 1982. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Avondale Road, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Avondale Road, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
View up the right side of Avondale Road showing the terraced houses. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920s

Quay Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920s
Looking west along Quay Street towards the cathedral with Old Mansion House on the right and the Palace Theatre (later the Palace Building) on the left

Background imageTruro Collection: Royal Visit, Ferris Town, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903

Royal Visit, Ferris Town, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903
Crowds of people have lined the street to watch the Prince and Princess of Wales, later King George V and Queen Mary, pass by in their carriage on 15th July 1903 for the Benediction of the cathedral

Background imageTruro Collection: Royal Visit, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903

Royal Visit, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903
Dignitaries from the cathedral and members of the public in High Cross awaiting the arrival of the royal party, the Prince and Princess of Wales, later King George V and Queen Mary

Background imageTruro Collection: Royal Visit, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903

Royal Visit, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903
Crowds of people line the street as the Royal carriage leaves High Cross for King Street on the occasion of the Prince and Princess of Wales, later King George V and Queen Mary

Background imageTruro Collection: Royal Visit, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903

Royal Visit, High Cross, Truro, Cornwall. 15th July 1903
Crowds of people line the street as the mounted troops leave High Cross for King Street on the occasion of the Prince and Princess of Wales, later King George V and Queen Mary

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro City Police, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1890

Truro City Police, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1890
A group of Truro City Police photographed outside against a backdrop of trees. Truro was granted city status in 1877 at which point the force was renamed from Truro Borough Police to Truro City

Background imageTruro Collection: Front of Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1934

Front of Princes House, Princes Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1934
Princes House was built for William Lemon in 1739 by the London architect Thomas Edwards. The porch, steps and boundary wall was added in 1891 as designed by Silvanus Trevail. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: The Leats, Truro, Cornwall. After 1902

The Leats, Truro, Cornwall. After 1902
View along The Leats looking towards Carvedras viaduct, from the east entrance to Victoria Gardens. The all stone structure replaced Isambard Kingdom Brunels original timber fanned viaduct in 1902

Background imageTruro Collection: Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Victoria Gardens, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
View up the water cascade and to the bridge over the stream, located in the middle of Victoria Gardens. A lady with a perambulator and a young girl with a lady are at the seats above




For sale as Licensed Images

Choose your image, Select your licence and Download the media