Skip to main content

Home > Royal Cornwall Museum > Places > Truro

Truro Collection (#7)

506 Items

We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Royal Cornwall Museum

Background imageTruro Collection: Gill family, Comprigney House, Truro, Cornwall. Before 1916

Gill family, Comprigney House, Truro, Cornwall. Before 1916
A group of three women from the Gill family seated on a deckchair and a bench in the garden of Comprigney House. The woman on the left, holding the flowers, is Major Arthur William Gills mother, Ada

Background imageTruro Collection: Harveys timber store, Truro, Cornwall. 1923

Harveys timber store, Truro, Cornwall. 1923
Stacks of timber in shed, with carts and worker. Harvey & Company Ltd. were timber importers. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Treyew Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1905

Treyew Road, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1905
View of semi-detached houses looking north. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: Beating the Bounds, Truro, Cornwall. 1917

Beating the Bounds, Truro, Cornwall. 1917
J. Tonkin, the Mayor, recutting the letters TB in a Boundary stone. Beating the Bounds is an old tradition whereby officials of the parish share their knowledge of the boundaries of their territory

Background imageTruro Collection: Williams Almshouses, Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1890s

Williams Almshouses, Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1890s
Inner courtyard with monument and resident ladies. The almshouses were built in 1631 to the memory of Henry Williams, a woollen draper in Truro

Background imageTruro Collection: New Bridge Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

New Bridge Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
New Bridge Street, at the junctions of Quay Street (left), Duke Street (ahead) and St Marys Street (right). The photograph was probably taken in the 1920s as the new War Memorial can be glimpsed at

Background imageTruro Collection: Coronation Terrace, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1906

Coronation Terrace, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1906
A general view of the terrace from the road with billboard notices along the wall including some for the West Briton newspaper dated 1906. There is snow on the ground

Background imageTruro Collection: Digging over land outside Old County Hall, Truro, Cornwall for potato planting. January 1917

Digging over land outside Old County Hall, Truro, Cornwall for potato planting. January 1917
A group of men and women preparing to dig over land adjoining Old County Hall for potato planting during the First World War. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Chapel Hill, Truro, Cornwall. Before 1910

Chapel Hill, Truro, Cornwall. Before 1910
A general view down the hill to the incomplete cathedral, with a horse and cart and people in the street. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: Treliske House, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Treliske House, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Treliske House from the entrance drive, taken in summer. This was formerly the home of W. Teague and later became Truro School. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: Machine shop, H. T. P. Motors Ltd. Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1941

Machine shop, H. T. P. Motors Ltd. Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1941
Workers in the aircraft component repair department during the Second World War. The workers are thought to be making parts for aircraft wings, probably for Spitfires, in what was the H.T.P

Background imageTruro Collection: Machine shop, H. T. P. Motors Ltd. Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1941

Machine shop, H. T. P. Motors Ltd. Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1941
Workers in the aircraft component repair department during the Second World War. The workers are thought to be making parts for aircraft wings, probably for Spitfires, in what was the H.T.P

Background imageTruro Collection: Boscawen Street view from west end looking east, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900

Boscawen Street view from west end looking east, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1900
Horse buses are parked up along the busy street, including the " Volunteer". Signage for Fred J. Hosken Webb & Co. Collett & Seymour, Huddy Bros

Background imageTruro Collection: Trafalgar Square, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920

Trafalgar Square, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1920
Horsemen and open carriage in front of houses in Trafalgar Square, Truro, Cornwall. One of the occupants of the carriage is thought to be Princess Mary (May) of Teck

Background imageTruro Collection: Custom House, The Green, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Custom House, The Green, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Customs officers in local ports were required to record the arrival and departure of all ships and their cargos, to collect and record all duty paid and to register new vessels. Signage for H.T.P

Background imageTruro Collection: Missionary Exhibition, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1913

Missionary Exhibition, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1913
Part of the display of the Missionary Exhibition in the Council Chambers of the City Hall. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s

Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1920s
Lloyds Bank on the corner of Boscawen Street and Lower Lemon Street, looking from Boscawen Street. There are several people and a couple of motor cars, one with the registration AF 995

Background imageTruro Collection: River Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1910s

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1910s
View of S. Hicks & Son Cycle shop at 10 River Street up to part of Clymas Temperance Hotel. The old name was retained when run by other people

Background imageTruro Collection: Union Hotel, St Austell Street, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

Union Hotel, St Austell Street, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Front view of hotel. Located on the South East corner of St Austell Street at the junction of Tregolls Road, the Union Hotel later became the Lord Nelson public house

Background imageTruro Collection: Cattle Market, Castle Hill, Truro, Cornwall. About 1920

Cattle Market, Castle Hill, Truro, Cornwall. About 1920
Truro Cattle Market at the top of Castle Hill, showing farmers and sheep. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. About 1906

Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. About 1906
A view down the bottom section of Pydar Street with the junction to Union Place. On the left is Truro Steam Laundry. No. 96 is the London Inn (Fred Evans, whose name is above the door)

Background imageTruro Collection: S. Hicks & Son Garage, Boscawen Bridge, Truro, Cornwall. May 1921

S. Hicks & Son Garage, Boscawen Bridge, Truro, Cornwall. May 1921
S. Hicks & Son Garage, by Boscawen Bridge, an authorised Ford dealer for motors and carriages of all descriptions. Two well dressed men wearing bowler hats are chatting in the street

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. After 1910

Truro Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. After 1910
An interior view of the Cathedral showing St Marys aisle. Date and Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro Cathedral with nave under construction, Truro, Cornwall. 1899

Truro Cathedral with nave under construction, Truro, Cornwall. 1899
Building the nave in the early stages. View from the west side of High Cross looking down. Photographer: Possibly F.H. Tims

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro Cathedral under construction, Truro, Cornwall. 29th June 1903

Truro Cathedral under construction, Truro, Cornwall. 29th June 1903
In this view the West front is complete with the west towers at the half-way stage. The central tower was completed on the 2nd July 1903. Slaters shop can be seen on the right

Background imageTruro Collection: The Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. December 1901

The Cathedral, Truro, Cornwall. December 1901
A view of Truro Cathedral during its building phase with the west front complete and the towers at the half-way stage. The whole front is covered in scaffolding

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1926

Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1926
In the 1920s there was a movement in Truro to fill in the keys in order to make Truro more appealing for pedestrians and more accessible by car

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1901

Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1901
The County Coach Factory Company established 1835. Formerly Beale s. The buildings stand facing Lemon Quay with the entrance to Tabernacle Street just visible on the right of picture

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Quay and Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1900s

Lemon Quay and Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1900s
Lemon Quay looking across the river Kenwyn at high tide to Back Quay, with Lemon Street bridge in the background. A variety of horse drawn vehicles stand on Lemon Quay and Back Quay

Background imageTruro Collection: A Fair, Truro, Cornwall. About 1900

A Fair, Truro, Cornwall. About 1900
Crowds at a fair on The Green, Truro (now Truro bus station). The fairground ride of J. Brewer & Sons of Indian Queens and Bath stands in the middle of the picture. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Cattle Market, Truro, Cornwall. About 1910

Cattle Market, Truro, Cornwall. About 1910
Cattle and farmers at the market. The railway loading bay is in the background. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: Back Quay and Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1900s

Back Quay and Lemon Quay, Truro, Cornwall. 1900s
Back Quay and Lemon Quay, from Lemon Street bridge looking towards Truro school on the hill in the background. Photographer: Arthur Philp

Background imageTruro Collection: Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1900s, before 1910

Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1900s, before 1910
The shop front of the grocery and provision shop, Family T. Rowe Grocer, at 83 Lemon Street. A member of staff wearing an apron is standing in the doorway with a customer

Background imageTruro Collection: River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1905

River Street, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1905
View down River Street showing the Truro Savings Bank and Baptist Chapel, later to become the Royal Cornwall Museum. The architect of both buildings was Philip Sambell (1798-1874)

Background imageTruro Collection: Truro City Police, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1890

Truro City Police, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1890
A group of Truro City Police photographed outside against a backdrop of trees. Truro was granted city status in 1877 at which point the force was renamed from Truro Borough Police to Truro City

Background imageTruro Collection: Kenwyn, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1925

Kenwyn, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1925
Church tower and lychgate of Kenwyn Church, 1925. Cornishman and amateur photographer, Major Arthur William Gill, was well known in Cornwall and elsewhere during the 1920s

Background imageTruro Collection: Kenwyn Church, Truro, Cornwall. 1905

Kenwyn Church, Truro, Cornwall. 1905
Taking away the old bell from Kenwyn Church. Two-horse drawn carts, loaded with a church bell, outside Kenwyn Church lychgate. Edward Pascoe is the carrier

Background imageTruro Collection: DCLI, Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

DCLI, Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry on parade down Pydar Street, Truro, early 1900s. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Interior of Princes Garage with vehicles, H. T. P. Motors Ltd, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1920s

Interior of Princes Garage with vehicles, H. T. P. Motors Ltd, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1920s
Vehicles with the registrations AF 3194, AF 6295, AF 6353, RL 6304 can be seen and two men are standing on the left hand side

Background imageTruro Collection: Beating the Waterbounds at Messack Point, Truro, Cornwall. 1st August 1911

Beating the Waterbounds at Messack Point, Truro, Cornwall. 1st August 1911
Group, including the Mayor and town crier, at Messack Point which is opposite Channels Creek at Trelissick, Feock. Beating the Bounds is an old tradition whereby officials of the parish share their

Background imageTruro Collection: Meeting in the Council Chamber, City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall

Meeting in the Council Chamber, City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. Date unknown but probably early 1900s
One of several clergy addressing a meeting in the Council Chamber. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: Missionary Exhibition in Council Chamber, City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1913

Missionary Exhibition in Council Chamber, City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 1913
General view of the Missionary Exhibition held in the Council Chamber. Some of the curios on display were donated to the Royal Cornwall Museum after the exhibition finished

Background imageTruro Collection: Health Exhibition, City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 10th November 1923

Health Exhibition, City Hall, Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall. 10th November 1923
Goodfellows stall of dairy produce featuring a butter making churn and a Duchy cow brand and pansy brand margarine display. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: A highly decorated Boscawen Street looking east, Truro, Cornwall

A highly decorated Boscawen Street looking east, Truro, Cornwall. Thought to be 27th May 1913 but possibly earlier
Boscawen Street looking east. The street is highly decorated, probably for the Bath and West Show. An open-top motor car is in the centre and the frontage of Webb & Co.s drapers

Background imageTruro Collection: A general view of Boscawen Street looking east, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s

A general view of Boscawen Street looking east, Truro, Cornwall. Early 1900s
A general view of Boscawen Street looking east with children in the centre. Horse drawn vehicles can be seen outside the Coinage Hall

Background imageTruro Collection: Bosvigo House, Bosvigo Lane, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1900

Bosvigo House, Bosvigo Lane, Truro, Cornwall. Probably around 1900
The interior of the Grade II listed house, with staircase. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

Background imageTruro Collection: New Bridge Street, Truro, Cornwall. Sunday 11th April 1926

New Bridge Street, Truro, Cornwall. Sunday 11th April 1926
The remains of a building in New Bridge Street, adjacent to the bridge, after being gutted by fire. Photographer: Unknown

Background imageTruro Collection: New Bridge Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably 1920s

New Bridge Street, Truro, Cornwall. Probably 1920s
A view from New Bridge Street, looking towards Duke Street, with St Marys Street on the right. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan




For sale as Licensed Images

Choose your image, Select your licence and Download the media