Skip to main content

Swindon Collection

Swindon, a town steeped in railway history and innovation

Background imageSwindon Collection: 7 King Class Locomotives at Swindon Shed, 1930

7 King Class Locomotives at Swindon Shed, 1930
From l-r: No 6005 King George II, No 6008 King James II, No 6017 King Edward IV, No 6020 King Henry IV, No 6022 King Edward III, No 6023 King Edward II, No 6024 King Edward I

Background imageSwindon Collection: 7 King Class Locomotives at Swindon Shed, 1930

7 King Class Locomotives at Swindon Shed, 1930
From l-r: No 6005 King George II, No 6008 King James II, No 6017 King Edward IV, No 6020 King Henry IV, No 6022 King Edward III, No 6023 King Edward II, No 6024 King Edward I

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 92220 Evening Star

No 92220 Evening Star
2-10-0 9F class locomotive, built 1960. Evening Star was the last mainline British Railways steam locomotive to be built in Britain at Swindon Works. Withdrawn 1965

Background imageSwindon Collection: Swindon Works, 1908

Swindon Works, 1908
View of Swindon Works looking towards the turntable and Erecting Shop

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 92220 Evening Star, in steam

No 92220 Evening Star, in steam
2-10-0 9F class locomotive, built 1960. Evening Star was the last mainline British Railways steam locomotive to be built in Britain at Swindon Works. Withdrawn 1965

Background imageSwindon Collection: Men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, 1928

Men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, 1928
Hoards of men leaving Swindon Works, Rodbourne Road entrance, 1928. The pattern shop is in the background and an omnibus with Arkells advertising on it

Background imageSwindon Collection: City of Truro 4-4-0 City class steam locomotive, No 3440, 1903. This

City of Truro 4-4-0 City class steam locomotive, No 3440, 1903. This locomotive was designed by William Dean for the Great Western Railway and built at Swindon in 1903

Background imageSwindon Collection: County Ground Art - Swindon Town

County Ground Art - Swindon Town
Watercolour painting of the County Ground, home of Swindon Town F.C. 1896 - current day. Stadium capacity 15, 728. Original painting size 20" x 16" created in 1998 by Kevin Fletcher

Background imageSwindon Collection: No D1053 Western Patriarch - Western Class Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive

No D1053 Western Patriarch - Western Class Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive
Class 52 locomotive seen here outside Swindon Works

Background imageSwindon Collection: Building Diesel Locomotives in Swindon

Building Diesel Locomotives in Swindon
Engineers nearing completion on the first of 35 2, 700 hp diesel-hydraulic locomotives built at the Swindon Works for the Western Region

Background imageSwindon Collection: AE Erecting Shop, 1927

AE Erecting Shop, 1927
First batch of King class locomotives under construction

Background imageSwindon Collection: Swindon Town Station, c. 1960

Swindon Town Station, c. 1960
This station was originally on the Midland and South Western Junction Railway and was situated in Swindons Old Town. Seen here with a BR Southern Region locomotive

Background imageSwindon Collection: Castle Class locomotive No. 7022, Hereford Castle at Swindon Shed, c. 1960

Castle Class locomotive No. 7022, Hereford Castle at Swindon Shed, c. 1960
4-6-0 locomotive built 1949

Background imageSwindon Collection: View of Swindon Works, 1982

View of Swindon Works, 1982
A view of Swindon Works in 1982 with an Intercity 125 speeding past on the main London to Bristol line. The building it is passing is now STEAM - Museum of the GWR

Background imageSwindon Collection: Swindon Works Broad Gauge Wagon Dump, 1892

Swindon Works Broad Gauge Wagon Dump, 1892
Dozens of wagons can be seen here lined up at Swindon Works waiting to be scrapped. The GWRs broad gauge came to a final end in May 1892

Background imageSwindon Collection: Swindon Mechanics Institute Pantomime poster, February 1860

Swindon Mechanics Institute Pantomime poster, February 1860
This pantomime poster is an early example of the type of performances that took place at the GWRs Mechanics Institute in Swindon

Background imageSwindon Collection: North Star in Swindon Works, c1925

North Star in Swindon Works, c1925
2-2-2 broad gauge locomotive

Background imageSwindon Collection: AW Wheel Shop, 1947

AW Wheel Shop, 1947
Re-wheeling of a locomotive

Background imageSwindon Collection: A man and woman carrying out work on a steam hammer during WW2, 1942

A man and woman carrying out work on a steam hammer during WW2, 1942
A man and woman carrying out work on a steam hammer during WW2 in the GWR Swindon Works, 1942. The man is wearing a blacksmiths apron

Background imageSwindon Collection: Swindon Works Trip, 1931

Swindon Works Trip, 1931
GWR families from Swindon wait in line to board the trains for Trip week. Destinations included Weymouth, Weston Super Mare and Cornwall

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 92220 Evening Star naming ceremony, 18th March 1960

No 92220 Evening Star naming ceremony, 18th March 1960
2-10-0 9F class locomotive, built 1960. Evening Star was the last mainline British Railways steam locomotive to be built in Britain at Swindon Works. Withdrawn 1965

Background imageSwindon Collection: View of Swindon Works, c1860

View of Swindon Works, c1860
This early photograph of the Works was taken from St Marks Church and shows R Shop (Machine Shop). Hundreds of wheels can be seen stored outside ready to be fitted to vehicles

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 6000 King George V outside Swindon Works

No 6000 King George V outside Swindon Works
4-6-0 King class locomotive. Built 1927

Background imageSwindon Collection: New Swindon, 1847

New Swindon, 1847
Lithograph of New Swindon in 1847 with broad gauge locomotive, Fire Brand, in foreground. Swindon Works can be seen to the right on the image, with the Railway Village to the left

Background imageSwindon Collection: Mechanics Institute Theatre, c1931

Mechanics Institute Theatre, c1931
View of the theatre and main stage. This shot was taken after the theatre was destroyed by a fire in 1930. The arch around the stage was rebuilt in an art deco style

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 7 Shop, Carriage Finishing Shop, 1924

No 7 Shop, Carriage Finishing Shop, 1924
Dozens of men can be seen here in the carriage finishing shop. It was here that parts of the carriages were finished off. Doors

Background imageSwindon Collection: New Swindon, c1860

New Swindon, c1860
This early view of Swindon looking north shows the Works and the Railway Village in their infancy. St Marks Church can clearly be seen just behind the newly laid out park

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 5055, Lydford Castle, at Swindon Works, c1950s

No 5055, Lydford Castle, at Swindon Works, c1950s
Castle Class locomotive, Lydford Castle, can be seen here moving onto traverser in A Erecting Shop at Swindon Works

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 5028 Llantilio Castle outside Swindon Works

No 5028 Llantilio Castle outside Swindon Works
4-6-0 Castle class locmotive. Built 1934

Background imageSwindon Collection: King George V with a Borough of Swindon headboard, 1974

King George V with a Borough of Swindon headboard, 1974

Background imageSwindon Collection: Swindon Station, 1930

Swindon Station, 1930
Two GWR publicity omnibuses sit outside Swindon Junction station in 1930, promoting the companys tourist route

Background imageSwindon Collection: First Class Refreshment Rooms, Swindon Station, c. 1840s

First Class Refreshment Rooms, Swindon Station, c. 1840s
This illustration shows a number of ladies and gentlemen in the First Class Refreshment Rooms at Swindon Junction Station, c.1840s

Background imageSwindon Collection: Swindon Works War Work, 22nd January 1942

Swindon Works War Work, 22nd January 1942
Female worker machining a 25 PDR shell on 22 January 1942. Munitions work issued by Ministry of Supply

Background imageSwindon Collection: View of Swindon Station, c. 1880s

View of Swindon Station, c. 1880s
This image of Swindon Junction station was taken before the change of gauge in 1892. Mixed gauge can be seen on the centre/left tracks

Background imageSwindon Collection: Swindon Station Staircase to Platforms, 1970

Swindon Station Staircase to Platforms, 1970
This photograph shows the staircase at Swindon station leading to Platforms 1, 2 & 3, taken on 28th January 1970

Background imageSwindon Collection: View of Swindon Station, 1895

View of Swindon Station, 1895
This image was taken to mark the occasion of the abolition of the ten minute stop at Swindon. It was the first non-stop express through the station

Background imageSwindon Collection: View of Swindon Station, c. 1890s

View of Swindon Station, c. 1890s
This photograph shows Swindon Junction Station in Wiltshire, looking towards Bristol, c.1890s. The station became known as simply Swindon Station after Swindon Town station closed in the 1960s

Background imageSwindon Collection: Locomotives awaiting to be scrapped at Swindon Works, 1962

Locomotives awaiting to be scrapped at Swindon Works, 1962
No 4085, Berkeley Castle, and No 5090 Neath Abbey can be seen in the line-up

Background imageSwindon Collection: Queen Mary on the footplate of No 4082 Windsor Castle, 1924

Queen Mary on the footplate of No 4082 Windsor Castle, 1924
King George V and Queen Mary visited Swindon Works in April 1924. They arrived and departed on Windsor Castle. Charles Collett (Chief Mechanical Engineer) can be seen leaning out of the cab

Background imageSwindon Collection: Mechanics Institute Luncheon, July 1908

Mechanics Institute Luncheon, July 1908
This luncheon was held in the Reading Room of the Mechanics Institute. George Jackson Churchward, Chief Mechanical Engineer of the GWR

Background imageSwindon Collection: Mechanics Institute, 1933

Mechanics Institute, 1933
This view of the Mechanics Institute shows the entrance to The Playhouse Theatre. The fly tower for the theatre can be seen in the centre of the building

Background imageSwindon Collection: Medical Fund Society Dental Surgery, 1947

Medical Fund Society Dental Surgery, 1947
The dental rooms were situated on the first floor of the Milton Road building. The Medical Fund Society in Milton Road housed swimming baths, Turkish and Russian Baths, a dispensary and a dentist

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, 1946

No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, 1946
These men are working hard helping to construct a Hawksworth coach body. Each piece of timber and frame had its own place and slotted in with exact precision

Background imageSwindon Collection: No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, 1913

No 4 Shop, Carriage Body Shop, 1913
The large expanse that is the carriage body shop can be seen here. Several carriage bodies can be seen lined up as they are assembed

Background imageSwindon Collection: J Shop - Iron Foundry, 1951

J Shop - Iron Foundry, 1951
Casting cylinders

Background imageSwindon Collection: K Shop - Coppersmiths, 1938

K Shop - Coppersmiths, 1938
Making domes and saftey valve covers

Background imageSwindon Collection: AW Wheel Shop

AW Wheel Shop
Journal Lathe

Background imageSwindon Collection: AV Boiler Shop, c1920s

AV Boiler Shop, c1920s




For sale as Licensed Images

Choose your image, Select your licence and Download the media

Swindon, a town steeped in railway history and innovation. In 1930, the Swindon Shed proudly housed seven King Class Locomotives, showcasing the engineering prowess of the era. Among them was No 92220 Evening Star, an iconic steam locomotive that stood tall and powerful. Speaking of Evening Star, it was a sight to behold when in full steam. Its majestic presence captured the imagination of all who witnessed it chugging along the tracks with grace and power. A true symbol of Swindon's rich locomotive heritage. The roots of this heritage can be traced back to Swindon Works in 1908. It was here that remarkable creations like City of Truro were born - a magnificent 4-4-0 City class steam locomotive that left its mark on history in 1903. But Swindon's expertise didn't end with steam engines; they also excelled at building diesel locomotives. The likes of No D1053 Western Patriarch - a Western Class Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive - showcased their ability to adapt and innovate as technology advanced. Throughout the years, Swindon Works remained bustling with activity. The North Star graced its premises around c1925 while the AE Erecting Shop hummed with productivity since 1927. Men leaving through Rodbourne Road entrance in 1928 painted a picture of hard work and dedication etched into every corner of this industrial hub. Beyond railways, art found its place within Swindon too. The County Ground Art depicting Swindon Town added vibrancy to everyday life – capturing both local pride and artistic expression seamlessly intertwined. And let us not forget about Swindon Town Station circa 1960 – an important transportation hub connecting people from near and far, facilitating journeys filled with excitement or reunions brimming with joy. Swindon is more than just a town; it is a testament to human ingenuity, perseverance, and the power of progress.