Skip to main content

Rights Managed > Royal Cornwall Museum > Places > Lostwithiel

Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973

Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973


Please Click On A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

Filename: TRURI-LOStn-15c.tiff

Size: 7177 x 7076 (51MB)

Date: 2nd April 2019

Source: Royal Cornwall Museum

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.406021, -4.675068

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

We accept all major credit cards


Image Downloads
Photo Prints
Jigsaw Puzzles
Poster Prints
Canvas Prints
Fine Art Prints
Metal Prints
Home Decor


Royal Cornwall Museum

Royal Cornwall Museum Photo Prints and Wall Art

Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973

A view of the cattle weighing scales at cattle market, when empty. The large clock type face above the weighing cage reads: W & T AVERY Ltd. BIRMINGHAM SHADOWLESS DIAL. At the bottom edge of the dial it states: TO WEIGH 30 CWT BY 7lb DIVISIONS. he cattle market was situated off North Street in an area now occupied the town car park, which is entered from Restormel Road. Markets have been held in Lostwithiel since the 12th century. What sort of markets is not clear, but prior to the cattle market being opened they were held in Queens Street. The site was formerly known as the old iron mine site, containing the mines offices off North Street. These in turn became the cattle market offices and the market opened in 1908. By the 1930s most farmers were using motor transport and the single entrance at North Street was becoming problematic, forcing some farmers to park their vehicles on Quay Street and drive their cattle through the town via Monmouth Lane (formerly known as Tram Lane) to the Market. The former tramway ran from Restormel Iron Mine, above and near Restormel Castle, down to the harbour in Quay Road, passing through the cattle market site, across North Street into Monmouth Lane across Fore Street, along Quay Street and under the railway bridge into what later became a public park. By 1973 the market was heavily subsidised and it eventually closed in 1976. The cattle market offices, formerly the iron mine offices, or Count House, still stand today, but have been altered and are used for modern functions. Photographer: Charles Woolf

Royal Cornwall Museum is the UK's Greatest Museum For Cornish Life & Culture

TRURI : LOStn.15c

Media ID 18842315

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

Agriculture Farming Greenham Joyce Town


MADE IN THE USA
Safe Shipping with 30 Day Money Back Guarantee

FREE PERSONALISATION*
We are proud to offer a range of customisation features including Personalised Captions, Color Filters and Picture Zoom Tools

FREE COLORIZATION SERVICE
You can choose advanced AI Colorization for this picture at no extra charge!

SECURE PAYMENTS
We happily accept a wide range of payment options so you can pay for the things you need in the way that is most convenient for you

* Options may vary by product and licensing agreement. Zoomed Pictures can be adjusted in the Basket.

lightbox add My Lightbox




Related Images


Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973
Cattle market, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 1973
Golf Club Opens, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. April 1991
Golf Club Opens, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. April 1991
Methodist Church Opening, North Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. February 1993
Methodist Church Opening, North Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. February 1993
Aircraft Crash, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. September 1991
Aircraft Crash, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. September 1991
Police Officers, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. May 1990
Police Officers, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. May 1990
Lorry crash, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. September 1990
Lorry crash, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. September 1990
Flooding, Queen Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. November 1986
Flooding, Queen Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. November 1986
HM The Queens visit, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. June 1989
HM The Queens visit, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. June 1989
Blacksmiths shop at Godolphin Cross, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Blacksmiths shop at Godolphin Cross, Cornwall. Early 1900s
Portable steam engine breakdown. Wheal Rose, Scorrier, Cornwall. About 1910-1920
Portable steam engine breakdown. Wheal Rose, Scorrier, Cornwall. About 1910-1920
Taprell House Opening, North Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. April 1993
Taprell House Opening, North Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. April 1993
19th century Barge, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. September 1992
19th century Barge, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. September 1992