Skip to main content

Post War Collection

"Reflecting on the Post-War Era: A Journey through Architectural Icons" Step into a world where resilience and innovation shaped the landscape of post-war Britain

Background imagePost War Collection: Preston Bus Station FF003606

Preston Bus Station FF003606
Preston Bus Station, Tithebarrn Street, Preston. Detail of the exterior facade featuring the upturned edges to the car park decks. Photographed in 2003

Background imagePost War Collection: Hepworth - Winged Figure DP183019

Hepworth - Winged Figure DP183019
John Lewis Departmant Store, Oxford Street, Marylebone, Greater London. Barbara Hepworth sculpture " Winged Figure" mounted on Holles Street elevation. Photographed by Chris Redgrave in 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: Trellick Tower DP101891

Trellick Tower DP101891
Trellick Tower, 5 Goldborne Road, North Kensington, London. 1968-72 by Erno Goldfinger. General view of elevation

Background imagePost War Collection: BT Tower DP138262

BT Tower DP138262
BT Tower, 60 Cleveland Street, Camden, London. General view of tower, formerly The Post Office Tower

Background imagePost War Collection: Preston Bus Station DP143109

Preston Bus Station DP143109
Preston Bus Station, Tithebarrn Street, Preston. General view illuminated at dusk, taken from Lords Walk in June 2011. Access ramps lead into the car park

Background imagePost War Collection: Coventry Cathedral DP164703

Coventry Cathedral DP164703
St Michaels Cathedral, Coventry, West Midlands. Both old and new Cathedrals as seen from University Square. General view from the east

Background imagePost War Collection: Spon Street DP164668

Spon Street DP164668
Spon Street, Coventry, West Midlands. General view from the south east

Background imagePost War Collection: Lower Precinct DP164632

Lower Precinct DP164632
Lower Precinct, Coventry, West Midlands. Detail of Gordon Cullen tiled mural in passage way from Lower Precinct to Corporation Street

Background imagePost War Collection: Oldenburg / van Bruggen - Bottle of Notes DP169355

Oldenburg / van Bruggen - Bottle of Notes DP169355
Bottle of Notes sculpture, by Claes Oldenburg & Coose van Bruggen, 1993. Centre Square, Middlesbrough. A tribute to Captain Cooke (1728-79). Photographed by Alun Bull 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: Coventry Cathedral DP164705

Coventry Cathedral DP164705
St Michaels Cathedral, Coventry, West Midlands. Exterior, roof detail of the new Cathedral by Basil Spence from the south

Background imagePost War Collection: Balfron Tower DP137832

Balfron Tower DP137832
Balfron Tower, St Leonards Road, Poplar, London. General view of tower by Erno Goldfinger. Grade II* listed building

Background imagePost War Collection: Fleischmann - Mining Memorial DP169357

Fleischmann - Mining Memorial DP169357
Anderton Shearer Mining Memorial, 1963-5, bronze sculpture by Arthur Fleischmann. Originally sited as a fountain at The National Coal Board, Anderton House, Lowton, Lancashire

Background imagePost War Collection: Clipstone Colliery DP137964

Clipstone Colliery DP137964
Clipstone Colliery, Clipstone, Nottinghamshire. 1953 to the designs of architects Young and Purves of Manchester. General view of listed headstocks and power house

Background imagePost War Collection: Soukop - Donkey DP178233

Soukop - Donkey DP178233
Donkey (1955) by Willi Soukop, Pittmans Field, Harlow, Essex. General view from the north west. Photographed by Steven Baker 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: Coventry Cathedral DP082327

Coventry Cathedral DP082327
Cathedral Church of St Michael, Priory Street, Coventry, Warwickshire. Chancel and tapestry by Graham Sutherland

Background imagePost War Collection: London County Council Minerva Estate Bethnal Green, East London. new flats built

London County Council Minerva Estate Bethnal Green, East London. new flats built on a site of formerly occupied by slum properties, 28th April 1948

Background imagePost War Collection: Preston Bus Station JLP01_08_082572

Preston Bus Station JLP01_08_082572
Preston Bus Station, Tithebarrn Street, Preston. End-on view showing the northern elevation with the car park decks protruding to either side. Photographed in October 1969; John Laing Collection

Background imagePost War Collection: Flanagan - The Cricketer DP167116

Flanagan - The Cricketer DP167116
Jesus College, Jesus Lane, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire. The Cricketer, 1989, by Barry Flanagan. Photographed by James O. Davies, 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: Hepworth - Four-Square Walkthrough DP167102

Hepworth - Four-Square Walkthrough DP167102
Churchill College, Storeys Way, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire. Four-Square Walkthrough, by Barbara Hepworth, 1966. Photographed by James O. Davies, 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: architecture, brutalist style, concrete, Listed Grade II*, Post War

architecture, brutalist style, concrete, Listed Grade II*, Post War
Stockwell Bus Garage, Binfield Road, Stockwell, London. 1952-3 by Adie, Button and Partners with Thomas Bilbow. Interior, general view of bus garage

Background imagePost War Collection: Lancaster University Chaplaincy DP138154

Lancaster University Chaplaincy DP138154
Lancaster University, Scotforth Road, Lancaster, Lancashire. Detail view of The Chaplaincy Centre

Background imagePost War Collection: Newcastle Civic Centre DP058352

Newcastle Civic Centre DP058352
Civic Centre, St Marys Place, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Designed 1950 and buoilt 1956-65. General view of exterior

Background imagePost War Collection: Welbeck Street Car Par DP094113

Welbeck Street Car Par DP094113
Welbeck Street Car Park, Marylebone Lane, Westminster, London. Exterior, detail

Background imagePost War Collection: Central Library and Town Hall, Birmingham DP180935

Central Library and Town Hall, Birmingham DP180935
Central Library, Paradise Circus, Birmingham, West Midlands. October 2013. General view of John Madins Brutalist Central Library (now demolished) in context with the cityscape

Background imagePost War Collection: Brazdys - Ritual DP183073

Brazdys - Ritual DP183073
Coleman Street, City of London. Antanas Brazdys sculpture Ritual from north east. Photographed by Chris Redgrave in 2016

Background imagePost War Collection: Heinz South Building DP158108

Heinz South Building DP158108
Heinz, South Building, Hayes Park, Hayes, Hillingdon. 1965 by Gordon Bunshaft. General view of South Building (administrative headquarters)

Background imagePost War Collection: New Street Signal Box BB95_13681

New Street Signal Box BB95_13681
New Street Signal Box, Birmingham. South east elevation from south east. Photographed in August 1995

Background imagePost War Collection: Turner Contemporary, Margate DP139569

Turner Contemporary, Margate DP139569
Turner Contemporary, Margate, Kent. Seaside. Art Gallery

Background imagePost War Collection: McWilliam - Help DP178230

McWilliam - Help DP178230
Help (1977) by Frederick Edward McWilliam, St Johns Arts and Recreation Centre, St Johns Walk, Old Harlow, Essex. Two figures, representing the Troubles in Northern Ireland

Background imagePost War Collection: Sewer depths in the City of London, 1944 (colour litho)

Sewer depths in the City of London, 1944 (colour litho)
7201427 Sewer depths in the City of London, 1944 (colour litho) by English School, (20th century); Private Collection; (add.info.: Town planning survey showing sewer depths in the City of London)

Background imagePost War Collection: Peckham Health Centre or the Pioneer Health Centre was opened in 1935 in Peckham, south London

Peckham Health Centre or the Pioneer Health Centre was opened in 1935 in Peckham, south London. It was a social experiment to monitor the effects of environment on health

Background imagePost War Collection: VOTER REGISTRATION POSTER. A Congress of Industrial Organization sponsored voter registration

VOTER REGISTRATION POSTER. A Congress of Industrial Organization sponsored voter registration poster by Ben Shahn, 1946

Background imagePost War Collection: Scargill Chapel DP138879

Scargill Chapel DP138879
Kettlewell, North Yorkshire. General view of the exterior of Scargill Chapel

Background imagePost War Collection: Roger Stevens Building, Leeds University DP158137

Roger Stevens Building, Leeds University DP158137
Roger Stevens Building, Chancellors Square, Leeds University, Leeds, Yorkshire. General view of the west elevation

Background imagePost War Collection: BT Tower DP180637

BT Tower DP180637
BT Tower, formerly Post Office Tower, Cleveland Mews, off Tottenham Court Road, London. General view of tower

Background imagePost War Collection: New Union Street DP164729

New Union Street DP164729
New Union Street, Coventry, West Midlands. General view from the north west of shops and offices

Background imagePost War Collection: Chadwick - Trigon DP178260

Chadwick - Trigon DP178260
Trigon (1961) by Lynn Chadwick, Broad Walk, Town Centre, Harlow, Essex. General view from the south east. Photographed by Steven Baker 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: Frink - Boar DP178248

Frink - Boar DP178248
Boar (1970) by Elisabeth Frink, The Water Gardens, Harlow, Essex. General view from the south east. Photographed by Steven Baker 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: McWilliam - Elisabeth Frink DP178241

McWilliam - Elisabeth Frink DP178241
Portrait figure of Elisabeth Frink (1956) by Frederick Edward McWilliam, West Walk, Town Centre, Harlow, Essex. General view from the north east. Photographed by Steven Baker 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: Schottlander - Series of Shapes in Red DP181025

Schottlander - Series of Shapes in Red DP181025
Rootes Building, University of Warwick, Coventry, Warwickshire. Series of Shapes In Red, by Bernard Schottlander, 1968. Photographed by James O. Davies, 2015

Background imagePost War Collection: 30 Cannon Street DP161924

30 Cannon Street DP161924
30 Cannon Street, City of London. General view of 30 Cannon Street, view from north east

Background imagePost War Collection: Post War Buildings Kettles Yard, Castle Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

Post War Buildings Kettles Yard, Castle Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire. Interior view of gallery extension designed by Leslie Martin

Background imagePost War Collection: Apollo Pavilion DP099463

Apollo Pavilion DP099463
Apollo Pavilion, Peterlee, County Durham. General view of Apollo Pavilion by Victor Passmore, 1969

Background imagePost War Collection: Park Hill Sheffield DP030884

Park Hill Sheffield DP030884
Park Hill, Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Constructed 1957-60. Exterior, general view of the estate

Background imagePost War Collection: Birmingham Central Library DP137657

Birmingham Central Library DP137657
Birmingham Central Library, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, West Midlands. General view of library (now demolished), from the north pediment of the Town Hall

Background imagePost War Collection: Scammonden Reservoir DP138288

Scammonden Reservoir DP138288
Scammonden Resevoir, West Yorkshire. General view showing the resevoir and its dam carrying the M62

Background imagePost War Collection: Sir Winston Churchill and Lady Clementine Churchill Sir Winston recently resigned

Sir Winston Churchill and Lady Clementine Churchill Sir Winston recently resigned as Prime Minister. Here they are seen leaving their home in Chartwell, Westerham

Background imagePost War Collection: Sainsbury Wing DP183694

Sainsbury Wing DP183694
Sainsbury Wing, National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, Westminster, Greater London. Completed in 1991, the Sainsbury Wing is the only work in Britain by Denise Scott-Brown and Robert Venturi




For sale as Licensed Images

Choose your image, Select your licence and Download the media

"Reflecting on the Post-War Era: A Journey through Architectural Icons" Step into a world where resilience and innovation shaped the landscape of post-war Britain. From Hepworth's ethereal Winged Figure to Trellick Tower's towering presence, these architectural marvels stand as testaments to a nation rebuilding itself. Preston Bus Station, with its geometric design captured in DP143109 and FF003606, symbolizes progress and connectivity. Its functional beauty has become an iconic landmark that transcends time. Coventry Cathedral (DP164703) emerges from the ashes like a phoenix, blending modernity with tradition. Its striking structure serves as a reminder of hope amidst destruction, inspiring generations to come. Fleischmann's Mining Memorial (DP169357) pays homage to those who sacrificed their lives in pursuit of progress. This poignant sculpture stands tall against the backdrop of history, honoring their memory for eternity. Balfron Tower (DP137832), an epitome of Brutalist architecture, represents social change and urban regeneration. Its imposing silhouette tells tales of community spirit and transformation. In Soukop's Donkey (DP178233), we find solace in simplicity. Amidst the chaos of war aftermaths, this humble sculpture reminds us to appreciate life's small joys that often go unnoticed. New Street Signal Box (BB95_13681) whispers stories untold - a silent witness to countless journeys taken by weary souls seeking new beginnings or reuniting with loved ones after years apart. Preston Bus Station once again graces our narrative through JLP01_08_082572; it is more than just transportation hub but also an emblematic gathering place where dreams converge and aspirations take flight. Lower Precinct (DP164632) embraces modernity while preserving heritage; its vibrant atmosphere reflects a society eager for progress yet mindful not to forget its roots.