Skip to main content
Image Licensing since 2004
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Historic England > Transport > Docks and shipping

Docks and shipping Gallery

Choose from 61 images in our Docks and shipping collection.


Manouevring a concrete caisson JLP01_01_064_48 Featured Docks and shipping Image

Manouevring a concrete caisson JLP01_01_064_48

TILBURY DOCKS, CHADWELL ST MARY, THURROCK, ESSEX. A view from a boat showing the cooling water intake caisson for Coryton Oil Refinery leaving Tilbury Docks, with people on the side of the lock using ropes to guide the structure.
During the Second World War, John Laing & Son Ltd had built some of the floating caissons for the Mulberry harbour which were used in the D-day landings. This 4,200 ton concrete water intake caisson was built along the lines of the Mulberry harbour and was towed 8 miles down the Thames from Tilbury Dock to be installed as part of Coryton Oil Refinery in March 1952. It was built between 1951 and 1952

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Dockmaster JLP01_01_064_41 Featured Docks and shipping Image

Dockmaster JLP01_01_064_41

TILBURY DOCKS, CHADWELL ST MARY, THURROCK, ESSEX. Captain W. R. Crouch, Dockmaster at Tilbury Docks, directing operations in the lock as the cooling water intake caisson for Coryton Oil Refinery begins its journey down the Thames.
This image was published in the April 1952 edition of Laing's monthly newsletter, Team Spirit.
During the Second World War, John Laing & Son Ltd had built some of the floating caissons for the Mulberry harbour which were used in the D-day landings. This 4,200 ton concrete water intake caisson was built along the lines of the Mulberry harbour and was towed 8 miles down the Thames from Tilbury Dock to be installed as part of Coryton Oil Refinery in March 1952. It was built between 1951 and 1952

© Historic England Archive. John Laing Photographic Collection

Grimsby Dock Tower EAW029404 Featured Docks and shipping Image

Grimsby Dock Tower EAW029404

GRIMSBY DOCK TOWER, Lincolnshire. This famous maritime landmark was built in 1852 as a hydraulic reservoir to power the lock gates and cranes of Grimsby Docks. Based on the design of the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena, the tower is 94m tall. By 1900 new technology made it largely redundant, but it remains a monument to Grimsby's maritime heritage. There is a model of the tower at Legoland, Windsor. The paddle steamer Lincoln Castle can also be seen in the graving dock at the entrance of the Royal Dock in this 1950 photograph. Aerofilms Collection (see Links)

© Historic England